February – September 2014
- Music by Goodnight Blue Moon
- 6 pm: Listen to artist Allison Schulnik discuss her work.
- Get your fortune told by a palm or tarot card reader in the Café.
- Participate in a Stop-Motion Film Workshop led by students from the Ballard Institute and Museum of Puppetry in the Hartford Courant Room.
- 7 pm: Sneak peak of Full Force Dance Theatre’s upcoming performance
- 8 pm: Watch short animated & claymation films including Wallace & Gromit.
Join us the first Thursday of every month for extended exhibition hours, live music, cocktails, food, art activities, a film and more!
First Thursday: Sing Me A Song:
- DJ Jon Eastman in Avery Court
- A Cappella music by Business as Usual in Avery Court
- Join a docent at 6 pm for a Collection Focus Talk on Thomas Dewing’s The Days, 1884-1886 – meet at Information Desk
- Watch break dancers from Young! Studios at 6:30 and 7:30 pm in Avery Court
- Create your own music video in the Hartford Courant Room
- Take a break at the coffee and dessert bar in The Museum Café
- 8 pm screening of Philomena
$5; Free for Members.
Join us the first Thursday of every month for extended exhibition hours, music, cocktails, food, art activities, a film and more!
Film: Philomena: In this dramatic comedy based on true events, a woman enlists the aide of a political journalist to help her find the son she was forced to give up for adoption while living in a convent. Multiple award winner. 2013. UK. 98 min. Rated PG-13. Directed by Stephen Frears. Starring Judi Dench, Steve Coogan.
Free with admission to First Thursday: Sing Me A Song.
Film: Elsa & Fred: An all-time favorite of our film regulars. A retired 77 year old hypochondriac widower named Fred moves to an apartment in Madrid and meets his next door neighbor, the Argentinean Elsa. She enchants Fred with her reckless behavior and zest for life. 2005. Argentina/Spain. 108 min. Rated PG. Subtitles. Directed by Marcos Carnevale.
Free with admission to First Thursday: TANGO.
Presented By Data-Mail, Inc. and The Mandell Family
Film: Lagaan: The people of a small village in Victorian India stake their future on a game of cricket against their ruthless British rulers in this musical drama. 2001. India. 224 min. Rated PG. Directed by Ashutosh Gowariker. This film has won 44 awards and garnered 19 nominations, including an Academy Award nomination for Best Foreign Language Film.
Free with admission to First Thursday: Indian Tandoori.
Film: American Hustle: A con man — along with his seductive partner/lover — is forced to work for a wild FBI agent who pushes them into a world of Jersey powerbrokers and the Mafia. 10 Academy Award nominations! 2013. USA. 138 min. Rated R. Directed by David O. Russell. Starring Christian Bale, Amy Adams, and Bradley Cooper.
Free with admission to First Thursday Block Party: Thursday Night Fever!
Presented By Data-Mail, Inc. and The Mandell Family.
CANCELED: First Thursday: July’s First Thursday After Hours is canceled in observance of Independence Day.
Join us August 7 for First Thursday Caribbean Block Party!
First Thursday Block Party: Caribbean Festival: Don’t miss our final block party of the summer!
- De 4 AhWee Steel Band from 5 – 6 pm
- Amandla Reggae Band from 6 – 9 pm
- Stilt walkers – Mike Mohammed & Son
- Performances by the Caribbean American Dance Company at 5:30 and 6:30 pm
- Body art by Amazing Face Art
- Costume parade at 7 pm by the Connecticut International Culture Carnival Association
- Hands on art activity outside from 5 – 8 pm: make your own costume pieces
- Complimentary food and cash bar
- Film at 8 pm, Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom
Facebook event here.
Wear the color YELLOW for free admission!
First Thursday After Hours
Join us the first Thursday of every month for extended exhibition hours, music, cocktails, food, art activities, a film & more! View photos from our previous First Thursday Block Party, which took place June 5, 2014.
Film: Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom: A chronicle of Nelson Mandela’s life journey from his childhood in a rural village through to his inauguration as the first democratically elected president of South Africa. 2013. UK/South African. 141 min. Rated PG-13. English and Subtitles. Directed by Justin Chadwick. Starring Idris Elba.
Free with admission to First Thursday Block Party: Caribbean Festival!
First Thursday: Sing the Blues: End the summer on a high note! Enjoy live music by XY Eli Blues Band, a 3 in 30 tour of artworks with the color blue, a pop up shop by Hartford Denim Company, a landscape painting demo and workshop, performances by Hartford-based improv and sketch comedy group Tick Tick BOOM!, cash bar, and more! Stay for an 8pm screening of Le Week-End.
$5, free for members. Wear the color BLUE for free admission!
Facebook event here
First Thursday After Hours: Join us the first Thursday of every month for extended exhibition hours, music, cocktails, food, art activities, a film & more!
Presented with support from the Connecticut Office of Tourism.