February – March 2014
Gallery Talk: MATRIX 168: Join Patricia Hickson, Emily Hall Tremaine Curator of Contemporary Art, for an introduction to Allison Schulnik / MATRIX 168.
Gallery Talk: Chick Austin as Architect: The Austin House and the Avery Memorial: Gather around a newly installed model of Chick Austin’s Hartford home with Eugene Gaddis, Curator of the Austin House. In 1930 the legendary Atheneum director Chick Austin, built a house that became a gathering place for leaders of the international art world—Dalí, Calder, Balanchine, Aaron Copland, and Le Corbusier—who flocked to Hartford to experience Austin’s ground-breaking exhibitions and entertainment. In 1934 the Museum’s Avery Memorial, its stunning Bauhaus interior designed by Austin himself, opened with the first comprehensive Picasso retrospective in America, and a new Art Deco theater. Gaddis will guide us through the Austin era and its influence in the art world.
First Thursday: Sing Me A Song:
- DJ Jon Eastman in Avery Court
- A Cappella music by Business as Usual in Avery Court
- Join a docent at 6 pm for a Collection Focus Talk on Thomas Dewing’s The Days, 1884-1886 – meet at Information Desk
- Watch break dancers from Young! Studios at 6:30 and 7:30 pm in Avery Court
- Create your own music video in the Hartford Courant Room
- Take a break at the coffee and dessert bar in The Museum Café
- 8 pm screening of Philomena
$5; Free for Members.
Join us the first Thursday of every month for extended exhibition hours, music, cocktails, food, art activities, a film and more!