Instagram Photo Submission
May 24–June 7
The Wadsworth’s upcoming exhibition Be Seen: Portrait Photography since Stonewall, on view June 22-September 15, 2019, explores how artists have used portrait photography to challenge, subvert, and play with societal norms of gender and sexuality in the fifty years since the Stonewall Riots.
We would like to invite the LGBTQ+ community, and those in solidarity, to submit your own portrait photography that represents you, your identities, and your communities. Post a photo to #BeSeenWadsworth between May 24– June 7. A selection of images will be chosen by jurors Ricardo Reyes, Edith Dale Monson Gallery Curator and Director at University of Hartford, and Judith Thorpe, Professor and MFA Program Director at University of Connecticut, and presented at the museum in Be Seen.
Terms & Eligibility
- Anyone found to use multiple accounts to enter will be ineligible.
- Posting duplicate or near duplicate updates or links is a violation of Twitter rules.
- This contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram.
How to Enter
- Take a photo that represents you, your identities, and your communities.
- Upload it to Instagram between May 24, 2019 and June 7, 2019.
- Hashtag it with #BeSeenWadsworth, tag @thewadsworth, and make sure your Instagram profile is set to public to officially enter.
- If you don’t have an Instagram account or your privacy settings prevent posting publicly, see FAQ below.
Where and how should I post my photograph?
- Post your photograph on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook
- Use the hashtag #BeSeenWadsworth so we can find the image
- Tag us in your post (not required, but it helps us find the image)
- It is OK to use an Instagram Filter
What if I don’t have a social media account or my account has privacy settings enabled?
If your Instagram or Facebook account has privacy enabled we may not see your images. If you do not have a social media account, or if you prefer, you can email your submission, along with your name and contact info to: email@example.com. Chosen submissions will be shared on our social media channels.
Can I submit more than one photograph?
Yes, you may submit up to 5 photos.
How are the exhibition images chosen?
Ricardo Reyes, Edith Dale Monson Gallery Curator and Director at University of Hartford, and Judith Thorpe, MFA Program Director at University of Connecticut, will serve as jurors. They will choose the selection of images to be presented on screen at the Wadsworth in Be Seen.
The chosen submissions will be posted on our social media channels and the photographers will be contacted directly through the channel they originally submitted the image.
How is my image used?
Some submissions may be posted or shared on our social media channels, website, and on a digital display at the Wadsworth.
Did you see my submission?
If you posted your image on social media and it appears on our Tag Wall, we saw your submission.
If you emailed us your image, we saw your submission.
If you did not send us your image directly OR you do not see the image on our Tag Wall, your privacy settings for your social media account are preventing us from seeing your image (see info above for sending us your image directly).