This interdisciplinary symposium will investigate major themes and questions central to the exhibition Coney Island: Visions of an American Dreamland. Continental breakfast and lunch included.
Download the complete Coney Island Symposium Program Schedule.
The day begins with a keynote address by Chief Curator and Exhibition Curator Robin Jaffee Frank, followed by a series of intriguing panel discussions and a special presentation on the Coney Island History Project.
- Nightmares and Fantasies: Painting Coney Island – a conversation among artists represented in the exhibition
- Race and Identity at Coney Island
- Coney Island on the Silver Screen – exploring Coney Island’s starring role in cinema
Panelists & Presenters
- Arnold Mesches
- Marie Roberts
- Frederick Brosen
- Joseph Koerner, Professor of History of Art & Architecture, Director of Undergraduate Studies, Harvard University
- Olivia White, Director, The Amistad Center for Art & Culture
- Robert Steele, Former Director, David C. Driskell Center for the Study of the Visual Arts & Culture of African Americans & the African Diaspora, University of Maryland, College Park
- Davarian Baldwin, Professor of American Studies, Trinity College
- Robyn Autry, Assistant Professor of Sociology, Wesleyan University
- Charles Denson, Co-founder, Coney Island History Project
- Joshua Glick, Assistant Professor of English & Film Studies, Hendrix College
- Nick Carr, New York City Move Location Scout
- Charles Musser, Professor of Film & Media Studies, Yale University
Purchase a combo ticket for the Circus Sideshow and Symposium and SAVE!