Daily Drop-In Tours
The Wadsworth is temporarily closed to support the effort to contain the spread of COVID-19 and all tours are canceled. Check our website and events calendar for ways to stay connected to the collection from home. Learn more about the Wadsworth response to COVID-19.
TAP Mobile Tours
Add another layer to your Wadsworth Atheneum experience by taking a TAP mobile tour, using your smartphone and the museum’s free WiFi. Visitors who do not have a smartphone may borrow an iPod from the Information Desk.
Earbuds are required for listening to mobile tours in the galleries. Guests may use their own, or pick up a set at the Information Desk for a $3 donation.
Visitors can access self-guided audio tours that explore the permanent collection, plus the museum’s 12 Highlights, Family, Spanish Language Highlights, and Artists on Art tours.
American Sign Language Video Tour:
The Wadsworth Atheneum’s American Sign Language Video Tour features select works of American art from the permanent collection. The videos in this self-guided tour were produced in conjunction with the American School for the Deaf.
Using details from works of art in the Wadsworth Atheneum’s permanent collection, MATRIX 173 artist Mark Dion created a chain of living creatures. The Great Chain Game follows a series of clues and questions that players use to create their own miniature Great Chain of Being.
Tours for Groups
Groups of 10 or more are encouraged to make a tour reservation. Use the links below to learn more about the types of tours available for groups, available amenities, and how to schedule a visit.
Benefits of group reservations:
- Customized guided tour
- Discount admission for 10 or more
- Early admission entry
- Reservations in the Untitled Bistro
- Free Bus Parking
When making plans for your group, please note:
- Docent-guided tours must be booked at least three weeks in advance – no additional fee for docent-guided tours
- Group discounts are based on a minimum group size of 10 people
- All tours last approximately one hour unless specially noted
- Tours meet in Gray Court by the Museum Shop
- Membership passes, the Library ARTpass, and other discounts or coupons are NOT valid for group admissions
- The Wadsworth can accommodate tour requests in multiple world languages including Spanish and French. Please inquire with at least 3 weeks advanced notice.
Guided Visits of the Austin House
Tours of the Austin House are canceled until further notice as the unique architecture of the house does not allow for safe social distancing. Learn more about the Wadsworth response to COVID-19.