Directions & Parking
Entering the Museum
Avery Door is located at 29 Atheneum Square North. Avery is the museum’s accessible entrance, and the shortest walking distance from the Front Street South garage. Avery Door—which is open during all regular museum hours—is also the entrance for all after hours programming (such as films, concerts and lectures) unless otherwise noted.
The Main Street Doors are located at 600 Main Street. The Main Street Doors are not open for after hours programming unless otherwise noted.
Museum Parking Options
- Recommended Parking: Front Street South Garage
GPS Address: 62 Front Street Crossing, Hartford, CT
$3 flat rate for museum visitors. Visit the Museum Shop for parking validation during museum hours, and Avery Lobby for parking validation during after hours events. Not valid for overnight parking.
Note: to redeem your validated parking stub at Front Street South, use the “pay ahead” kiosks (cash or credit), or any of the exit lanes (credit only, no cash). If you are unable to redeem your validated parking stub and no attendant is on duty, use the intercom button to call the office for assistance.
- On-Street Parking
Limited on-street kiosk parking is available on the streets neighboring the museum. For current information regarding street parking in the City of Hartford, please visit the Hartford Parking Authority website.
Avery Door, located at 29 Atheneum Square North is accessible to visitors with limited mobility, wheelchairs, and strollers. A limited number of on-street handicap spaces, as well as non-handicap but nearby spaces, are available in front of the museum on Main Street, and behind the museum on Prospect Street. If street parking is unavailable, visitors may be dropped off immediately adjacent to Avery Door on the corner of Atheneum Square North and Prospect Street.
Please note that the Trumbull Street garage no longer accepts museum-validated parking.
Other Transportation Options
- DASH circulator bus, a free shuttle which makes several stops around the city, can be used to get from various parking garages to the museum.
- CT fastrak stops very close to the museum for visitors coming from Bristol, Plainville, Farmington, or New Britain.
- CT Transit buses stop nearby on Main Street in various locations.
- CT rail trains stop in downtown Hartford for visitors coming from Springfield, Windsor Locks, Windsor, Berlin, Meriden, Wallingford, or New Haven.